Deadlines for 529 College-Savings Plan Distributions

By Kimberly Lankford

| Photographs By digitalskillet

QUESTION: My son is a freshman in college, and this is our first time using 529 money for his college bills. Do we need to withdraw money from his 529 for his 2018 tuition bills and other eligible expenses by Dec. 31, or do we have a few months afterward to withdraw the money?

ANSWER: You have to withdraw the money for 2018 expenses by Dec. 31, 2018. “The expense and the distribution must be in the same year,” says Mark Kantrowitz, of

This is a good time to consider all of the eligible 529 expenses you’ve paid during the year, so you’ll have time to make the withdrawals before Dec. 31. You can withdraw 529 money tax-free for tuition, fees, and required books and supplies, as well as for room and board.

Students who are enrolled at least half-time can even use 529 money tax-free to pay rent for an off-campus apartment (up to the school’s allowance for room and board, which you can find at the school’s website under the cost of attendance or by contacting the financial aid office). You can also withdraw money tax-free from the 529 if you bought a computer for your son this year.

Keep in mind that you can’t withdraw money tax-free from the 529 now for next year’s expenses unless you’re billed for them this year. This timing is different from the rules for the American Opportunity Credit. You can prepay for expenses that will occur during the first three months of the year and still take the credit. “There is no similar language for 529 plans,” says Kantrowitz. (For more information about the American Opportunity Credit, see IRS Publication 970.)

If you’re still contributing to a 529, it’s also a good time to find out whether you need to make contributions by the end of the year in order to deduct your contribution on your state income taxes for 2018. Most states set a Dec. 31 deadline, but Georgia, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina and Wisconsin give you until April 15, 2019 (and Iowa gives you until May 1, 2019) to make tax-deductible contributions for 2018. (See’s list of states with later deadlines.)

The views expressed in content distributed by Newstex and its re-distributors (collectively, “Newstex Authoritative Content”) are solely those of the respective author(s) and not necessarily the views of Newstex et al. It is provided as general information only on an “AS IS” basis, without warranties and conferring no rights, which should not be relied upon as professional advice. Newstex et al. make no claims, promises or guarantees regarding its accuracy or completeness, nor as to the quality of the opinions and commentary contained therein.

Licensed content is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended to represent any endorsement, expressed or implied, by USAA or any affiliates.

Copyright 2018 The Kiplinger Washington Editors. This article was written by Kimberly Lankford from Kiplinger and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to

Tags - Investing


How Income Annuities are Taxed — and Why


Annuities: They May Be a Better Option ...


Should You Purchase Investment Properties Before the ...